Weather Forecast

Close

Man suspected of trying to run over Bismarck police officer found in South Dakota

Lake County Past: Sept. 22

1917

Jewelry and opticals

W. M. Hulberg and George J. Arneson, have formed a co-partnership as Hulberg & Arneson and opened up a jewelry store at 603 First Ave. A large line of jewelry, cut glass and silverware are now on hand and more is expected daily. Mr. Hulberg needs no introduction to the people of Two Harbors, having formerly been in business here for several years, and is a reliable and conscientious business man, and a skilled workman as a jeweler. Mr. Arneson hails from Northfield, Minn., where he has been in business for some time and comes to this city to fill a long felt want and in conjunction with the jewelry store has opened up an optical department. Mr. Arneson is a graduate from the Northern Illinois College of Optics and also passed the Minnesota state board with high credits and has had several years of experience in this line of work. Close attention will be paid to this line of work and anyone desiring eyes fitted to glasses will find at this store first class service. Watch repairing left in their charge will be done on short notice with guaranteed work and prices reasonable.

1942

Enrollment decreases

Figures in the enrollment of pupils in the Lake County School District system show a loss of 47 at the end of the first week of school. There are 1,168 pupils in the system, 1.017 in the city schools and 151 in the rural schools. The high school has 537 pupils, Minnehaha, 381 and John A. Johnson, 99. A loss of eight was shown in the high school, 13 in the Minnehaha and 10 at the Johnson school. In the rural district a loss of 16 was recorded.

1967

Whopper landed

Ted Swanson, 12, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Swanson of 415 2nd Ave. in Two Harbors, landed a whopper of a steelhead at the breakwater. Ted used a daredevil to land the 6.5 lb., 28 inch fish.

Gegoka Lake access road

Construction is now underway for an access road to Gegoka Lake by the Isabella Job Corps Conservation Center.

Gegoka Lake is approximately 150 acres. In 1965, the Minnesota Division of the Game and Fish stocked the lake with over 21,000 walleye fingerlings. In the past few years many people have expressed a desire to have an access road into the lake. With the establishment of the Isabella Job Corps Conservation Center, it is now possible to construct this long needed lake access on the Isabella Ranger District, Superior National Forest.

The access road will be located just east of Camp Gegoka on State Route No. 1. Clearing has been completed for the 700 foot long access road, boat ramp and parking lot. Plans are for completion by the end of September.

Advertisement
randomness